You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Monday, August 22, 2011

The Incisional/Aspiration Biopsy

Now I am really feeling scared but Tinashe tells me to remain optimistic. Its not really working because I am pretending to be strong. After doing the unthinkable of searching tumours on google, I am freaking out. I feel like I just hoped onto a treadmill of life that does not have a STOP button. My appointment is scheduled for August 11th and the day before the secretary informs me that something had come up and the doctor would not be able to perform the biopsy as previously agreed.  In fact, she advised me that this would be done some time in September.  I totally flipped! I am thinking, first you made a mistake and did not label the cultures now you are playing russian roullet with my life? Hell, to the NO!  I email a very strongly worded message that I was not going to accept the kind of behaviour that smells lack of dignity and respect entitled to all human beings. It clicked for me that I did not want to die but to live!  I just knew instantly that I was going to fight for my life tooth and nail even if it means upsetting the doctors who are going to cut me open. I was willing to take that risk. In short, I was not polite at all and I dont regret it one bit because I immediately got an appointment for the following week.  I was told the process would take 20 minutes but it took a full hour and that hour felt like 3 hours if you ask me.  I will not dwell on this procedure because I cried like a baby. I thought the needle biopsy was painful but that was nothing.  My poor Tinashe, again she was sitting there all the while despite the doctor advising her it might be graphic. After I got opened up, poor girl she passed out. I thought it was guys who did that during labour but well, I guess childbirth is not the only traumatizing thing in this life.  A biopsy is a surgical process were sample tissue was removed from the tumour on my neck.  The sample was of course sent for examination under a microscope. The waiting was two excruciating weeks. I think the waiting was just too painful.  The anxiety is indescribable! The recovery was painful and I was swollen again but I cannot complain. The doctor did a good job. Koodos doctor even though we started on bad footing. The only problem I have now is these outbreaks of chronic fatigue. I just feel so tired and unable to do simple tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment