You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Radiation Day # 2

I cannot help it but I hear that song, "The final countdown" just playing in my head these days. For some strange reason, radiation therapy makes me see that bright light at the end of the tunnel. After my first radiation therapy, I developed swelling and numbness on my neck, the same area where the cancerous tumor is located. Now, that I consider myself a pro I didn't panic given that I have come to know that these treatments do have adverse side effects no matter how helpful they may be. Anyway, I saw the Radiation Oncologist today and of course he allayed my fears and stated that the swelling may be the result of blocked lymphatic fluid since the tumour was sitting right on the sub-mandibular gland. He advised that I purchase some unscented aloe vera and do some gentle massage on the spot and also do some gentle neck exercise to reduce the neck tightness and increase neck motion while increasing drainage of the lymph nodes. After consulting with my doctor, I had my second round of radiation therapy and am just happy that its not as bad as chemotherapy. I cannot help but do a serious count down and cannot wait to finish this final process of my treatment plan. Until then, stay tuned......

No comments:

Post a Comment