You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Excited! I am Graduating from the Masters in Social Work Program!

Rather than being consumed by the sadness of cancer trials and tribulations, today I choose the first principle of transformation which calls us to appreciate ourselves.  I am appreciating my success by just recognizing my accomplishments so far. Not an easy task as I do not wish to sound narcissistic! But, I am taking this very special moment to just acknowledge and give myself deep appreciation of who I am in this world. Yes, peepo, tomorrow is my BIG DAY! I am graduating from the Masters in Social Work program at Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada www.ryerson.ca. Unfortunately, the devastating impact of chemotherapy on my fragile health prevent me from walking the stage and rocking that fabulous bald head as promised. I will rock it in spirit though. But, hey, I am so happy to take this opportunity to celebrate this major milestone with all my classmates. A milestone that included sacrifices, tears, successes including disappointments here and there. To my classmates, a graduation is such an important and rare moment which allows us to celebrate our accomplishments individually and collectively. Lets put on our armour as we all prepare for new experiences and adventures; Continuing with the script, writing the next chapter of our lives which may be scary, stressful or exciting. But, I know we all have what it takes to confront this rocky world. However, I must admit, though the MSW journey was arduous and long, it was worth every bit! A big shout out to ya'll Graduates! and Congratulations MSW Class of 2011! You are the bomb! I wish you all the best! I feel honoured and humbled to be included among the 35 most extraordinary social innovators; movers and shakers who take my breath away. Now, go out there and and be the change we want to see in this world.

As I reflect and introspect, I am filled with emotion as I still cannot fathom how I managed to complete my thesis which was arduous and taxing. It stretched my limits as it involved a lot of research, conducting emotional interviews, transcribing, writing and sleepless nights while at the same time climbing this cancer mountain. How can I forget my taxing clinical social work job at a hospital during all this! Honestly, often, I felt like I was jogging on a treadmill that has no stop button. I could not have done it without the support of my thesis supervisor Dr. Jennifer Poole, my mentor extraordinaire who kept me focused! I am still in awe of her patience as I muddled through the sticky mud and maze of a thesis journey. I just blinked and shed a little bit of tears, because this Masters journey has come full circle and feels surreal. A full circle for a humble girl from Harare, Zimbabwe who dared to dream big, travelled the globe as a diplomatic international civil servant for eleven years with a re-known International Development Bank and ultimately turning into an international citizen without borders. And, most of all dared not to quit at every turn of the moment; Always looking at obstacles as an opportunity to remove limits. And, always knowing that winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit. I did all this because my strength lies in my tenacity and recognition that living for a higher purpose increases abundance. Who said you stop dreaming just because you are ill?

To, my children, Tinotenda, Tinashe and Tapfuma, I liken you to the air that I breathe. You are my everything! And, you were my biggest cheerleaders during this tough thesis journey picking me up when I almost gave up! Thank you for your immeasurable and calm support. This diploma belongs to you too for playing different roles in your own different ways!  I could not have done this without ya'll. This diploma signifies obstacles I have overcome in the past and those I continue to negotiate in the present. My goal remains the same, overcoming and singing "Victorious!" at the end of it all. The truth is - this Masters experience, allowed me to discover more about myself. Specifically, that I am capable of doing so much more than I care to give myself credit for. Most important, I made life long friends who continue to fervently support me during my own new chapter of this cancer journey. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I appreciate ya'll!

Through all this, my motivation was a simple goal to achieve and succeed. This goal led to culmination of wearing this strange convocation outfit and recognition of the journey that I have walked to be here today. I have finally achieved my Masters Degree - my life long dream. This, stands as a constant reminder to myself, that no matter how tough this cancer journey may be, I have what it takes. I have overcome so much obstacles already to be here today. With this big achievement I just want to shout out, Hoorah! and do the Happy Dance at the same time. But, I will save myself the strain caused by unexplainable pain and neuropathy for now. Yes, for now, because once I get my groove back, you betcha! I am gonna do just that and more celebrate -with swagga. Just the idea that I am graduating tomorrow motivates me to want to beat this cancer even much more. I cannot wait to be that change needed in the world. So, this is my story of triumph and delight ya'll! I will continue to be a champion who gets up, even when I am unable. So, remember peepo, when you reach the end of your rope, just tie a knot and hang on.... Remember to stay motivated no matter your obstacles. Stay tuned.....

4 comments:

  1. WOOOOOHOOOOOO GRADUATION!!!! Yes, you celebrate my lovely friend, and enjoy this moment:D We will be there together in spirit. So happy, and most of all so proud of you for being such an incredible hard working woman. You are truly an inspiration to me my love! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done mother and I will celebrate with you in spirit. Such an achievement can not go unnoticed, so I have my bottle of Jack and a am raising you glass in your honour, or better still me "Mwana wemasters graduate". Wooooooo that feels so good writing it.

    Mwana WeMasters Graduate..

    ReplyDelete
  3. A BIG congratulations, Dorothee!!! You earned it, and you rockin strong! And, to paraphrase a great friend of mine,
    "It ain't about no 'Magna Cum Laude'. It's about 'Thank You, Lordee'!!!"

    ReplyDelete