You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

First Appointment with Radiation Oncologist

After my last appointment with my Chemo Oncologist, he had advised me that he was going to schedule an appointment for me to see the Radiation Oncologist just before I complete my chemo rounds. This new oncologist is supposed to plan and oversee my radiation treatment. So, my appointment was scheduled for today at the same hospital just a different wing. When I got there it was packed with so many people and this did not help my crabby mood. I was feeling really unwell, I had aches and pains. I waited for so long before I saw the Oncologist and then after I had been directed to those private rooms in readiness to see him. I thought for a moment, I had been forgotten. I waited and waited, stood up, walked around, twiddled my thumbs and I can assure you I was just so pissed and was ready to lose it.  By the time the Radiation Oncologist came to see me I was at the end of my rope. But, here is the funny part, the guy is so nice and connects with you on such a human level that there is no way I could not smile. He made me forget instantly that I had been feeling very upset.

Anyway, this doctor is so nice that I just feel so blessed that as this journey continues to progress, I keep being connected to such an amazing medical team who connect with me on a human level - more than I can ask for. As usual, the conversation started with how this was going to completely eradicate the cancer cells. Followed by information on how the radiation is going to impact my life - that is the side effects which are not supposed to be as bad as chemo but who knows. After my experience with chemo so far, I feel that the medical people downplay the impact and adverse effects. I don't blame them because if I knew what I know now I think my mental state would be in Cuckooland!  I was given enough information to stress me enough for the rest of the week hence my delay in posting. The cure of this cancer is absolutely worse than the disease.

I was really shocked that I am going to have 15 rounds of radiation. I never imagined it was going to be so much more than even 5. After he said this, I went into a daze and refused to take any further reading material about how this is going to impact my life. Specifically, that the radiation is going to affect my left saliva glands which will stop producing saliva for a long long time. The radiation is going to burn my skin turning it to very dark - like I am not dark already, I will have trouble swallowing. Really? I thought, this is just too much! How much more can I take? I think he noticed that I was visibly shaken. He continued to explained that it was necessary because the radiation would kill any cancer cells left behind that chemo did not get. He said that after chemo there is always a chance that some rogue cancer cells are still in the body and may not be visible on the last PET scan once chemo is done. I will write some more on radiation in another posting.  Until then I am doing a countdown for my chemo appointment next week. Then, the vicious cycle begins again mouth sores, fatigue, tingling, aches and pains, nausea etc, etc. Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment