You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Look Good Feel Great

I apologize for going missing in action! Let me tell ya'll when you are going through chemotherapy treatment its like you accept a new normal. Things do get rough at times where some days you just crawl through and some days you just want to forget. So, I am taking one day at a time and embracing it all, the good and the bad and the ugly as a way to move ahead. I always thought I had pretty good concept of living one day at a time before, but I can assure ya'll, now this concept is even more true for me than ever before. Now, I start each day with thankfulness instead of whining and moaning. I try to look for joy and humour in each day. It is working and I am glad for this new me. Well, don't get me wrong, this does in no way mean my days of bitching and whining are over. It simply means my priority now is finding joy and beauty in each day and hopefully try to wake up every morning with a smile.

This week I had the pleasure of attending a "Look Good Feel Better Workshop" for women with cancer courtesy referral by my lovely Oncologist. I am so glad I attended this free workshop because its totally what I needed. For anyone going through the same cancer journey, this organization is international and you can google and find your location. There is a special bonding and feeling you experience when you are among other cancer warriors. The experience is eye opening as you receive wisdom from others as they share their journeys with you and you realize that you are all on the path to finding your best in life.So, here is the thing, The Look Good Feel Better is a charitable foundation of the Canadian Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association. It is dedicated to empowering women with managing the effects of cancer and treatment on appearance and morale. I must say, the workshop does exactly what it means, you will look good and you will feel better after spending time with other women with different kinds of cancer in a safe and supportive environment.

We shared stories, insights, we had laughter and yes, sometimes tears but in the end we all left feeling so good about ourselves. No wonder they call it "makeover for the spirit". The highlight of the workshop is the step by step instructional on how to do a makeover led by cosmetology professionals using products donated by the cosmetic industry. At the end of the workshop we all took home instruction booklets and complimentary cosmetic kits (big box) valued at US$500. In fact, I have not finished checking everything out its so much from cleansers, foundation, face powder, cuticle cream, eye cream, lipstick etc, etc. Oh Gosh! it is so much. I really appreciated this makeover for my spirit and the cosmetic kit was a bonus! After the makeover, we went through a session of different ways to tie our bald heads with scarfs without using a mirror. We also had an opportunity to see different kinds of specialty scarfs available to us. Now, I have become religious in making sure I look good whether I am in the house or going for doctor appointments because that is what it means to live each day as if it is the last - to stop worrying about the future because it has not yet come. Therefore, staying in the present and just making it beautiful and worth remembering is the name of the game. Remember, life is not a rehearsal - every moment counts. I am learning to live life to the fullest and making a concerted effort to remember to wake up each day with a smile. Maybe you can all try to do the same. Until then......

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post! I feel happy just by reading it and agree that if we could all live our lives to the fullest each and every day - even just by being happy and content with what we are doing, we would all be better off. There would be good energy the World over. And good energy is healing energy XoXo

    ReplyDelete