You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Second Chemo Update: Harder Than the First

I just had my second chemotherapy and it was harder than the first one. During the process, I felt more pain than the last time as the toxic stuff travelled through my veins. As a result, it took longer than the first one. We had to have some several intermissions as the chemo nurse flushed my veins with saline to alleviate the burning sensation and pain. A hot compress was also placed on my arm and it does help. As the chemo nurse is flushing my vein, I hear this bell ringing kinda like the church bells and I asked if we were having a church service. She laughed and told me this was tradition that every time a patient completes treatment they ring this big bell to celebrate completion of this painful process. I think this is fun and I cannot wait to do the onus. At that moment, I thought well, I should be ringing that bell because today is my graduation from the Masters in Social Work program. Again, congratulations to all my classmates. I wish you all the best! Sounds crazy but I did feel a tard sad because I missed my convocation and just being with my classmates today. Anyway, back to the major story, for some strange reason I felt nauseated throughout the session despite taking the anti-nausea medication before treatment. So, I took some more anti-nausea during chemo. All went well but leaving the clinic, I was just feeling really sore and light headed. I just wanted to head home and be in my bed. Getting home my mouth started feeling the usual burning sensation signifying mouth sores to come. But, now that I am equipped with relevant tools. Mouth washing several times with baking soda and salt in warm water really helps. I also have this Biotene mouthwash which Tapfuma got for me which is amazing. No, its a miracle worker.  I feel more tired than the last time and I have more aches and pains which is all expected. Until then, let me get some more rest.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post. I just had my first chemotherapy treatment on Wednesday and, based on what others had said expected to be ok. This is the first day I feel the side affects becoming less intense. I don't know if people forgot or didn't see their relatives that went through chemo or maybe not being hospitalized means doing ok. I have learned that this is my experience and it has been difficult. It's not one symptom that is the worst,except maybe the nauses, but all of them at once. Someone told me today that the first one is the hardest physically. I hadn't heard that yet so thought i'd check out what others are experiencing. Good luck with your third treatment. My second is on jan 9.

    ReplyDelete