You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Every Dark Cloud has a Silver Lining

 Its late afternoon and I thought I might continue sleeping and being a Debby Downer with my hurting chest and all, but my Professor Jennifer just emailed me with the best news for the day. She just a put a smile on my face as I wobbled out of bed. Remember people, all these happening occurred when I was working on my thesis for the Master in Social Work. And it gets better, she just informed me that my major research paper was back from the second reader with good reviews! I appreciate this woman because she was not only my Professor during the year but she was a shoulder I cried on more than often. Her resonance evoked confidence in me and helped me to stay focused and calm in the middle of the chaos which began in June. I am always amazed by strong powerful women like Jen who truly believe in you when you have lost belief in your own self. She made me see the great potential in my suffering and possibilities ahead. I just read the good comments from the second reader and now I am even more inspired and motivated to beat this so that I can do my Phd. Do you know what that means? It means I am going to graduate this October. I don't know how that is going to look like but, whether hairless from chemo or what I am going to walk that stage owning that baldness and turning it into victorious. I know I have the "C" word but, like I said before, I am not letting this put me down.  I am just rearranging my life and choosing daily to grow in awareness that I have the courage to be imperfect and knowing that I am loved by all my friends and family who have already graciously started to send me positive affirmations. So, thank ya'll for keeping me strong with your kind words. I cannot thank you all enough. Keep the positive affirmations flowing. You are helping me take charge of my body and mind. What that means is that I am taking charge of my cancer rather than let the cancer take charge of me. After sharing the good news with my rock and fabulous daughter, Tinashe, she just baked these yummy gummy chocolate cupcakes.
Ummm! they are melting in my mouth! So, now we are having a cupcake party. Yay! we are indulging and just binging and just letting loose. I gotta go now the cupcakes await.....

4 comments:

  1. Oh that is great news. Congrates!!!!!! and you shall walk on that stage with or without hair like the proud African woman that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fighter for all I know. Confronting challenges when they come is the way to go dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The battle is on. Didn't anybody tell this disease that you had back-up. Save some of those cupcakes for me. congrats mum. chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dorothy,
    Reading your blog just made my day I envy your strength , resiliency and positive thinking. You go girl
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete