You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Staging Procedure # 1 : Ultrasound

Now that I have cleared the air, let me give you the progress report. Today, I went in for my ultrasound which is part of the staging process. Remember, the initial tests and biopsy revealed that I have hodgkins lymphoma. Now, the oncologist performs Staging, which are additional tests to see if the cancer has spread. Staging helps guide future treatment and follow-up and gives some idea of what to expect in the future. Today was the Ultrasound appointment. An ultrasound is a scan which uses sound waves to build up a picture of the inside of the body. A gel is squeashed on the skin and a microphone passed back and forth over the areas to be scanned. Ultrasound is particularly useful for examining the liver and kidneys. A computer then converts the reflected sound waves int a picture on a screen. Anyway, my appointment was so early in the morning at 8am. That was not a problem for me because I got up quite early, but the most tragic happened. Where I live its on a street car route not buses or trains. So, I get into the street car in good time and after three stops there was a problem on our route. When one street car breaks down it blocks all the other ones following behind. I guess because they use the rail tracks. You guessed right my street car was number four behind the other three in front.
So check out how one street car looks like! Now picture four of those and the number of people. Gosh! I was so furious as I tried to flag for a taxi without much success because everyone needed a taxi. I know I have said this cancer has taught me to be patient but I must confess, this morning I did lose my cool and cursed a bit. Not that it made me feel any better. Finally, together with another white lady we managed to share a taxi.  My house is about 15 or 20 minutes from the city center so I thought this is great. Anyway, as we got into the taxi and we started moving the lady stated she was going to King Street which is a completely opposite direction from where I was going. I breathed in and remained calm after realizing I didn't have much choice given how long it took me to get this taxi. The good news is even though the taxi did a zig zag I was able to get to my appointment just on time. Getting into the hospital was a nightmare because this is not my usual fancy cancer hospital, its also fancy but not so much. Its a new one across the street from my hospital. So what that means is, I had no clue where I was going so I spent a good 5 or 10 minutes trying to find my way despite having asked for directions. Like I said, I was able to get there on time.  When my name was called, I went in changed and lay down beside those ultrasound machines.

 I have done ultrasounds before when I was pregnant but this was something else. You know how they rub that thing all over you and often it does not hurt. I felt pain every time that little thing rolled all over my chest and my sides. Then you go on your side it rolls again on your side and back, then the other side same thing.  It took for ever and it was just awful. Here is the kicker, when the guy finished working on my chest and side he made this strange expression on his face and told me to hold on for a second as he rushed out of the room. Are you thinking what I am thinking, I grabbed his arm and asked him what was wrong. Poor guy, he stammered and said, oh I cannot tell you anything you will get your results from your doctor. I just need to go and speak with the doctor in charge my boss. I hate these people when they give you the shocked face, make you freak out then they give you the professional attitude.. Anyway, he rushed out and I immediately sat up to see if the screen was still on. Yeah he forgot to exit I guess because of rushing. I looked but nothing made sense so I just lay back down and waited. He came back with his boss and I ignored them as they continued to prod me again. I lay down there and began to wonder what they were seeing that they cannot tell me. I thought, what is wrong with these people, I know I have cancer how worse can it get.

Anyhow, I am not one to dwell on my anxieties, so when I finished I walked out of the hospital passed by Starbucks and got myself a macchiato which just made my heart race because of the coffee content. So, that is part one of my staging process which will be followed by other tests. Like always, I will keep y'all posted so stay tuned. By the time I got home it was lunch time, am getting used to appointments that take almost the whole day. I was feeling so tired like I worked a field. I slept and forgot to wake up. That is how cancer has changed my life. I don't have the energy I used to have before, I feel really tired from doing even mundane things. I cannot stay on my feet for even the bare minimum amount of time.  Its just ridiculous. But, the good news today is that I cooked. After taking a nap more of deep sleep, I woke up feeling energized and prepared dinner. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment