You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Staging Procedure # 3 : Pulmonary Function Test

Today I will keep it short. The nagging blinding migraine continues to bother me and I just need to drink lots of water and lie down. I have no doubt the radioactive waves from yesterday are responsible for this unfortunate episode. Of all the tests I have done so far, the Pulmonary Function Test was one of the easiest at least because there is no needle poking which I have come to detest so much. Also it takes very little effort and less time. This test is done because remember I am going to get the ABVD chemo treatment. So, the "B" bleomycin in chemo can damage the lungs. As you can see, each letter in the acronym represents some really toxic stuff  that may harm vital internal organs hence constant monitoring is required. While I am assured constantly that the chances of toxicity are rare, my neurotic psyche keeps going to that place which is not healthy for me - the worst!  Just the idea of this toxic stuff sends my brain into a spin. The purpose of the Pulmonary Function Test is to evaluate respiratory health before and during chemo treatment. The test also called PFT helps my oncologist evaluate how well my lungs are working as well as determine the best treatment for me. The process entailed me breathing into a tight fitting mouthpiece connected to a machine and a nose clip. I could see the machine measuring how much air I was breathing in and out over a certain amount of time. The nurse was giving me instructions to make either deep breaths or hold the breath etc, which was very straight forward. The second part involved me sitting in a chair in a little cubicle that looks like a telephone booth with an intercom inside for the instructions. Again, you breathe into a mouth piece following instructions and within a few minutes it was done. Thats it for now. Until later......

No comments:

Post a Comment