You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

YAY!!! Its happening.....I am Celebrating Today

Today I am celebrating because I have good reason to. I was off the blogosphere yesterday because I was tired of telling y' all about this persistent pain in my chest. It gets boring I am sure for everyone. We spent the whole night awake struggling with the pain. But, as the scripture says, weeping may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning because his favour is for life (Psalms 30:5). During this ordeal, Tinashe was telling me in a her gentle voice that everything was going to be fine like she is giving a prophecy. She cracks a joke and makes me forget that I was sad for a while as we start laughing and tearing up from laughing. She is so good and knows exactly how to keep my spirits up. She starts telling me that her friend whom I know who has brain cancer waited for one month before getting the staging appointment. Listening to this I felt a bit of comfort knowing that it will happen soon and that I am not alone.

Yesterday, I went to see my family doctor in the morning whom I adore so much. I just needed to talk to her about this persistent chest pain which I do not want to talk about any more which seems to be persisting despite all the medications I was getting.  I also needed to speak to her and just cry because I was feeling frustrated by the pain and the fact that I had to wait not knowing when I would start treatment. In my head to tell you the truth, I was feeling like this cancer has spread all over my body thats why I was feeling so sick and just weak. Yeah, yesterday was my low day and I was crying. Like Shelley Ramathe my friend said to me, "Remember it's okay to cry, grieve, reach out to others, feel, reflect and hope during this journey". I appreciated this advice and I keep it in my back pocket. Shelley thank you for your profound words. So I heed my friend's advice and did all that. Who runs out of breathe when they are doing simple tasks honestly? I am a busy body and I just feel so frustrated when I feel disabled to do just simple tasks. So it was appropriate that I had an appointment with my family doctor who is one of the most ideal person I feel comfortable and safe to openly express myself and work through my deepest and most vulnerable feelings without fear of being judged or being given unsolicited advice. Anyway, the doctor made me feel so great. She always has a way of putting a smile on my face and makes me feel strong and remain hopeful. First, she gave me this liquid medication which made my chest feel much better. Then she gave me some literature on lymphoma which was very useful. But, here is the most fun part, she advised me that she was going to advocate on my behalf to see if the treatment appointments could be speeded up. This was music to my ears. Anything that makes me stay positive sends me right to the moon. So, I went home whistling despite that ache in my chest. I had something to look forward to, that hope - yeah, that feeling of expecting good things to come.

There is the best part of today..... I just received a phone call this afternoon that I have an appointment scheduled for Monday next week to begin the Staging process. Yes, you guessed right, I did the happy dance. I was so thrilled I cannot begin to explain the joy that I am feeling right now. While everyone is celebrating the Toronto Film Festival (TIFF) I am celebrating that I have an appointment with an Oncologist on Monday which means I will begin treatment sooner than I even anticipated. Thanks to my family doctor she waved her magic wand. And poof! the magic happened... ooh its a miracle.  Miracles never cease to happen and I know God is still in control. Well, for now let me just continue celebrating.  I will continue celebrating because I am excited that my very good friend Dr Leo  is coming to visit me and he is one funny guy and I know he will bring with him a funny bone which I desire so much. I miss him and tomorrow is just gonna be great, I just know it. Peace out!

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwww Dorothee can't wait to see you today. You are so beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete