You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Staging Procedure # 4: CT Scan

As the chemo countdown continues, I had the final staging test which is the CT scan. Some more needle poking and hopefully the last but not least of many more to come. I am sure by now everyone is familiar with this kind of test which is thorough in that it shows the detailed image of internal organs. For me, my test was centered on my head and my chest. The CT scan will help my oncologist determine if the lymph notes in my head or chest are enlarged. The CT scan involved taking several pictures as it rotates around upper body. Before the scan, I was given an IV injection which stayed in my arm throughout the process. The procedure took 1 hour of just being still. The IV was used to inject a contrast dye that helps outline the abnormal areas in my body.  When the dye is injected you get a feeling of warmth and funny taste in the mouth. During the test you life still on the table as it moves in and out of the scanner which looks like a big ring or donought. No big deal though. However, I like the way you are given this big talk about how some people can get allergic reaction to the dye resulting in hives or trouble breathing. Then they give you a special card in case something happens to take the card with you to the emergency. Well, thank you very much for just reminding me how much toxicity I am willingly getting into my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment